Elaine is a Director at De Beer Attorneys. Elaine has a wealth of experience in both prosecution and litigation of all forms of intellectual property.
With over 15 years of experience in the industry, Elaine has consistently been rated as a leading practitioner in the legal field – both in South Africa and internationally.
De Beer Attorneys and Elaine Bergenthuin have been included in the IAM Patent1000 rankings for 2020, with the following independent review being provided:
“De Beer Attorneys has been building out its capacity in recent years and now boasts a mature and strategically sophisticated practice that spans the contentious/non-contentious divide. The organisation is run by Elaine Bergenthuin, a commercially astute IP professional with a gift for delivering innovative solutions customised to fit clients’ business needs. Having previously worked at a leading London patent attorney firm, she has a long track record of satisfying the demands of top-tier multinationals.”
Elaine has also been recognised as leading lawyer by the following ratings agencies:
• IAM Strategy 300 – she has been included on the list as one of the Top 300 Intellectual Property Law Strategists internationally in 2017, 2018 and 2019. She is the only Legal Practitioner from Africa to ever have been be included on this list.
• IAM Patent 1000 – She has been rated as one of the top 1000 patent attorneys globally.
Elaine was also shortlisted for the Female Managing Partner of the Year, 2017 by Law Digest Africa. Elaine is also the winner of the South African Business Women’s Association (BWA) Regional Achiever in the Professional Category for 2017.
Elaine has been included in the Mail and Guardian list of Top 200 Young People. She has also been listed as one of the 100 Most Influential Young South Africans by Avance Media.
Elaine is widely regarded as an expert in intellectual property law in South Africa and regularly conducts interviews on radio and TV as well as hosting and presenting at local and international conferences on the topic.
Elaine is a member of the following professional institutions:
• SAIIPL – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (Fellow)
• FICPI – Federation International des Conseils en Propriete Industrielle
• AIPPI – International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
• INTA – International Trademark Association
Elaine also sits on INTA’S Designs Committee, which is based in New York, NY.
Elaine is a qualified electronics engineer and an Admitted Attorney of the High Court of South Africa as well as being a registered South African patent attorney.