“Your brand is the single most important investment you can make in your business” – Steve Forbes
In South Africa
We can assist with the following aspects related to trademarks:
- Registerability searches
- Due dilligence/audits
- Assignment of trademarks
- Registration of new trademark applications in South Africa and any other country in the world, through our agents
- Registration of existing trademarks in South Africa and before ARIPO, OAPI
- Litigation and enforcement of trademark rights
- Oppositions to proposed new trademark filings
- Passing off/Unfair competition proceedings
- Trademark infringement proceedings
- Company name objections
A trademark is intended to distinguish the goods and/or services of one person or company from the goods and/or services of another person or company.
It is important to note that trademarks are filed in respect of a particular class of goods and/or services in respect of which the trade mark is intended to be used. A trademark can therefore only prevent the registration and use of a deceptively similar mark in respect of the same goods/services for which it has been registered.
In view of the above, with the exception of particularly well-known brands such as Coca-Cola and the like, a registered trade mark will then only prevent the use of a name in respect of the goods/services for which it has been registered.
Some trademarks are not eligible for protection and we will be advise you more fully once we understand your exact requirements in this regard.
For urgent filings the following must be provided:
- Full names and official address of the applicant
- A representation of the trade mark
- Class and specification of goods or services
- Priority details in the case of Convention application
On the basis of these details a valid filing date can be secured.
In the rest of Africa
We have developed relationships with local agents in most African countries. As a result, we are well placed to assist our client’s in protecting their trade marks in Africa.
In the rest of the world
We have secured trade marks for our clients in various countries around the world, with the assistance of our foreign agents, with whom we have a long standing working relationship.